Sunday, June 7, 2009

June 7, 2009

Anne continues to do well, thanks to all of your prayers. She has had essentially no side effects (a little tummy ache tonight has been about it). We were able to get to a few graduation parties over the weekend, and helped Michelle and Greg move (temporarily) into an apartment in East Lansing. Michelle will be taking 3 classes at Michigan State University this summer (and graduating early so she can do her student teaching in the spring--instead of after school would start in the fall--and hopefully be available to GET A JOB!), and Greg will be working in Lansing this summer and starting at Michigan State Law School this coming fall. Anne made it through all events without so much as taking a nap! We even went to dinner to our friends Andy and Sharon Saturday night and watched the Red Wings cream Pittsburgh 5-0. Go Wings!

Anne's brother John is doing very well since his back surgery. No complications there and he's home recovering. Anne's parents stayed until last Wednesday to take care of Anne--and thankfully didn't have a lot to do. Greg is also progressing from his surgery--healing very well.

On the way home from Andy and Sharon's Saturday night, I heard the song "God You Reign" by Lincoln Brewster and Mia Fieldes, woke up singing it, and then we sang it at church. Coincidence? I don't think so. Words from verse 2:

My song remains
God you reign
You hold my life
You know my heart
And You call me by name
I live to say God You reign

God does reign, and He is so incredibly powerful. He can wipe out Anne's cancer if He wants (and I know He will), and He can read what is in our hearts and minds. I give it all to Him. I want to do His will. Right now I am struggling with trying to figure out what He wants me to do. I think my mind is so full of taking care of Anne, that I haven't been able to spend the time with God that I need to be able to hear His voice about my own discernment. It is not an easy thing to give up control, but I know that is what I have to do to hear His voice. I'm so used to running my practice and taking care of everyone else, that I usually leave little time for taking care of me (mentally and bodily--hence the "Buddah Belly"). So maybe I'll ask you all to pray for me too (just a little--I want most of the prayers to keep coming for Anne).

Speaking of prayer--wouldn't you know that was the subject of today's sermon? Read James 5:13-18 if you get a chance. It is perfect. I like verse 15: "And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him (her) up". And even Psalm 46 was mentioned. Verse 5 (which I now love): "God is within her, she will not fall." Although I think the psalmist was talking about a city here, I'll assume he was also talking about Anne. God IS within her, and she will not fall. She has been raised up by all of your prayers--God is our fortress, our refuge and strength. God, You reign!

God Bless,
Tony

1 comment:

  1. Tony, your fellow buddha belly can sympathize. It is great news to hear that the chemo is clearly working (the low WBC) yet she is getting through the treatments without real trouble now. My prayers are with you both too.

    ReplyDelete